This is the fabric we needed to incorporate in our quilted project. Michael Millers' Petal Pinwheels. I don't use a lot of prints, so it certainly was a challenge for me!
What did I decide to do?! Make a pillow. Yep! I went there! I have been wanting to enlarge the paper pieced hedgehog for some time now, and then wondered what would it look like with some prints. There it is, two birds one stone!
First step, enlarge the pattern. The original hedgehog was 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". My 'bigger is better' hedgehog finished at 6" x 8".
I added extra paper on the outside of the pattern and extended the lines allowing for a 16" x 16" finished pillow cover. I could have added a border around the little guy after he was finished, but I really wanted the angles of the paper piecing. After cutting the pattern apart I remembered to add slightly over 1/4" for the seam allowance. One problem I had on previous hedgehogs was remembering to do that!
This is the beginning stages. I must say, it was a little difficult working with such a big piece. I made a few mistakes along the way too! If you have ever paper pieced you know how difficult it is ripping out those teeny tiny stitches! I swore several times. My husband told me to put it away. But I was determined to make it to the end!
And I did! Here is a look at the back. I love seeing pretty little seams! It's like a special reward!
Which brings me to quilting this crazy little guy! I started with 1/4" lines and ended with 3/4" on the top half. Under his little stubby feet I went wild and pretended I was making the ground. Something different. I even embroidered his little eye too! Can't have another blind hedgehog!