Thursday, January 22, 2015

Off Set Log Cabin Tutorial ~ Jelly Roll



Off Set Log Cabin 
12 1/2” x 12 1/2” BLOCK 
(24 Blocks = 1 Jelly Roll)  

1 Jelly Roll (40 - 2 1/2” strips 43”/44”)
3 - 4 Fat Quarters/Scraps (setting square)
1/2 yard - Border
1/2 yard - Binding
4 yards - Backing

CUTTING
A - Qty 24
4 1/2” x 4 1/2”

B - Qty 24 
2 1/2” x 4 1/2”

C - Qty 48
2 1/2” x 6 1/2”

D - Qty 48
2 1/2” x 8 1/2”

E - Qty 48
2 1/2” x 10 1/2”

F - Qty 24
2 1/2” x 12 1/2”

* Each block requires: 1 A, B & F piece and 2 C, D & E pieces

Sew piece B to piece A.  Press seams.  
Add C pieces, D Pieces, E pieces and end with F.  Refer to chart.

Arrange your blocks in a layout you like.  Sew each block together, press seams.  Sew your rows together, press seams.
  
If you choose to add a border, now is the time!  I cut my pieces 3” wide sewing the top and bottom on first, then the sides.  Pressing the seams towards the border.

This is the layout that I used for my Batik Jelly Roll Finish 


And a few other possibilities!



 This would be a great project for not only jelly rolls, but perfect for using up some scraps!

Tip:  By adding more 2 1/2” strips you could make your blocks even bigger!  Or maybe sashing in between the blocks?!  
  

10 comments :

  1. Thanks for the nice tutorial, I've plenty of scraps that would work great for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it would be great with scraps!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for this tutorial. I have a jelly roll sitting here and have been anxious to find a fun and easy pattern to use with it. I think this is the one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope it makes sense and you get a chance to use your jelly roll!

      Delete
  3. Hey, this is great! I've been looking at a little pile of fabric on my sewing room floor this week with the idea of making a scrappy half log cabin, sorting & adding to it. And wondering about the different layouts! Thanx! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great for scraps too! Hope you get a chance to try it out!

      Delete
  4. Great tutorial! I've never made a log cabin quilt before and I'm very tempted :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a quick and easy block! Try it!

      Delete
  5. Looking good! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I love getting comments, and try to respond to each and every one.